Saturday, December 1, 2012

Are you sure?



Assurance of Salvation

I. What is assurance of salvation?
A.   Assurance of salvation is the certainty that one has eternal life that can never ever be lost.
B.   It is knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt that one has eternal salvation.
II. Who may have this assurance and when may it be had?
A.   Anyone who has through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ been born again may have assurance of salvation.
B.   Everyone from the very day that they take Jesus Christ to be their Savior may have assurance of salvation.
1.     It is the birth right of every person born into the family of God
III. Why is it good to have assurance of salvation?
A.   God wants us to have this assurance
1.     John 5:13 “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life”
2.     Whoever has been born again is a child of God. What father out there would not want his child to know certainly the he is indeed his child?
B.   It creates gratitude within us.
1.     In our Christian walk
2.     We do not live in fear
a.     of losing one’s salvation
b.     of maybe not having it
C.   It gives peace
D.   It is the foundation for all things done in the Christian life.
IV. We do not gain assurance of salvation through looking at our works!
A.   They can never give certain assurance
1.     They are subjective. Often our circumstances and daily Christian living in like a roller coaster.
B.   They can give false assurance!
1.     Matthew 7:22-23 “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you.’”
C.   Looking to our works can create despair
V. Certain, undoubted assurance of salvation comes only through looking to Jesus Christ in His promises by faith
A.   Assurance is of the essence of faith
1.     Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”
B.   When we believe what Jesus says in His promises of eternal life, we certainly know that we have eternal life.
1.     Jesus’ promise GUARANTEES that anyone who simply believes in Him has eternal life.
a.     John 6:47 “I promise your this, anyone who believes in Me has eternal life”
2.     No one can say that they believe Jesus and His promise and doubt if they have eternal life at the same time. It is impossible!
VI. Can assurance be lost?
A.   Yes. Assurance can be lost when:
1.     We take our eyes off of Jesus
2.     and put them on ourselves and our circumstances
3.   Loss of Assurance is not loss of eternal life.
VII. When we lose certain assurance of our salvation, what should we do?
A.   We need to freshly look to Jesus Christ in His promise.
B.   We don’t look at an event in the past, we look to Jesus in the present.

Ending illustrations:
If I said to you, “I put 400 Dollars in your bank account.” And you said you believed me (and you did believe me), what are you certain you have?

Answer: 400 dollars

Only if you doubt me could you not be certain you have the 400 dollars. Doubt precludes faith (in other words doubt cannot exist at the same time as faith) (Mark 4:40; Mark 11:23; Rom 14:23; Jas 1:6)!

If faith = conviction and assurance, being persuaded that something is true, you cannot say that you believe something and at the same moment doubt it. It is logically sound to put forth this proposition: if someone believes something, they consider it true. If you believe Christ in His promise, you consider His promise true.

What does His promise say?

You shall never perish, never hunger, never thirst, never be lost, etc.

Therefore, if you believe Jesus, you consider His promise true. The only way you could not understand that you are forever saved is if you don't believe Christ's message, in other words, you do not believe His message to be true.

A dad talking to his son:

Dad: "Son, I promise you that I put a candy bar on your bed."

Son: "I believe you, Dad."

Dad: "Son. What is it you know you have on your bed?"

Son: "Dad, I have a candy bar!"

Dad: "Are you certain that you have a candy bar?"

Son: "Of course!"

Dad: "Why are you certain?"

Son: "Because I believe what you said about the candy bar."

Assurance is of the essence of faith.

In that one believes, he is certain of what he believes.

If he believes Jesus Christ in His promise, he is certain he is eternally secure, that he has eternal life. If he retains doubt, he neither believes, nor has assurance.

9 comments:

Brian said...

I started reading this post but had to stop at the first section. I have not been able to articulate a certain circular reasoning on this issue until this very moment. It seems that what is being said is that you can't have salvation until you believe you have it but you can't believe you have it until you have it. For many years I have been trying to state this question, but it has only come out now. I think there is something wrong at this point. Logically, then, believing you have eternal life must result from first believing in Jesus Christ, not particularly as one's personal savior but as the Christ, the Son of God (John 20:21). Now I have see at this point people who have stated, "Well, you can't believe in Jesus unless you believe that that he is able to save you and has saved you," but I no longer see that that makes any valid logic at all. You can only first believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, then afterward realize that you have eternal life as a result of that belief, not believe that you believe. Believing that you believe an only happen after you have believed and by that time you already have eternal life, if indeed you have believed in Jesus and not actually in your own belief, which is a twist of logic.

Kc said...

Hello again old bloggin friend! ;-)

Which is true?

1. “For God so loved the world that He gave everlasting life and whosoever believes in it shall have His Son”.
2. “For God so loved the world that He gave His son and whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life”.

If I am convinced and assured that Jesus is Christ the savior, but I lack a theologically certainty as to exactly how it is that He saves us, do I remain condemned? If I certain and assured that He has given me eternal life but fear He might take it away am I condemned?

Trent said...

Welcome Enerqy. Actually in this case, that was not the topic, however, I will try and answer your question but please read the rest of the post as I think it helps. If you believe in Jesus for eternal life, then at least at that moment, you know you have it. 1 Tim 1:16 Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those [a]who would believe in Him for eternal life. If you don't believe in him, then you don't have assurance, and if you have never believed in him for it, then you don't have eternal life. I agree that for you to put your faith in him for your eternal security, your understanding of him needs to allow for it.. and believing that he is the Messiah the Son of God according to JN 11:25-27 I think demonstrates that at least for the Jews it was the same. Jn 6:47 and Jn 3:16 I think make it clear as well. Read the rest and lets discuss it further. Can a child of 6 who trusts his father believe in Jesus for Eternal life because he believes in his human father for truth? I think it is the same with Jesus. As soon as we believe he is trustworthy, and that he offers eternal life to all who believe in him for it, we have it. The belief and possession take place at the same time.

Trent said...

KC long time no see! :) I have done a bit since last we spoke. #2 of course. However, believing that someone exists, and believing in someone is 2 different things. Can you give me of an example of anyone you can believe in for nothing? and if it is something, then the only simple answer is it is what he is offering to those who believe. 1 Tim 1:16 I think helps to clarify. As to your second question, yes. IF you can believe in him for eternal life, like the disciples did before understanding he was to die and rise again, then you can. I think it is more difficult for adults though. We need to understand to believe. Children have an easier time, but the Disciples proved that you can lack understanding on theological issues and still trust in him as the Messiah, the giver of eternal life to all who believe. Josh Mcdowell, and CS Lewis I believe are two people who tried to disprove that he was the Christ and became believers in spite of themselves. Saul/Paul was another.
3rd questions is the most complicated..and the least depending on how you look at it. I think you and I agree that Christ gives us that free gift with no strings attached, and that we can do nothing to deserve it. Therefore if you are believing that he gives it to you, (eternal life) how can you doubt he is giving it to you at the same time? If you are believing you are going to earn it, and then he will give it to you, then you have not believed in him yet, you are believing in you. Now what I do think happens a lot, is someone reads the clear teaching of Jesus, believes it, because its so easy... then reads or listens to something that reminds them how unworthy they are, and that it can't be that easy and immediately they have doubts. They have lost assurance, but eternal life is a commitment from God to me thankfully, not a commitment from me to him. Does that make sense? :)

Kc said...

Trent, you said, “I have done a bit since last we spoke” Details man! Details! ;-)

“However, believing that someone exists, and believing in someone is 2 different things.”
I would say that believing who they are, what they do and how they do it are all distinct as well. My understanding of this verse would be that those who believe that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God receive eternal life but I don't find it to say they must know that first in order to believe He is the Son of God.

“Can you give me of an example of anyone you can believe in for nothing?”
I would say that our faith in Christ is not based on His singular ability in any one thing but on His absolute authority in all things. I am sympathetic to those who believe in Him for the truth or the way as well. He is all. I am empathetic with those who fail to understand any of these things. ;-)

I would understand Paul's statement in 1st Tim to be in contrast to those who were teaching law as the means to eternal life. Do you see more here?

You replied, “...they have doubts. They have lost assurance, but eternal life is a commitment from God”. Your thesis states, “If he retains doubt, he neither believes, nor has assurance”.
How would you reconcile this apparent conflict?

I appreciate the dialog, as always, but I may be infrequent. I'm working a seven day work week and my brain tends to rattle around in my head like a bb in a box car! ;-)

Trent said...

Not sure where to start, but I am in my home in TX now which I moved to last Dec. I have posted a few times since then, but not sure we have interacted. My oldest is not 18 and spreading her wings. :) We just finished decorating for the Birth of Christ this year. My wife loves it. We are fellowshiping at a wonderful church and a few friends have followed us to TX so far.

"I would say that believing who they are, what they do and how they do it are all distinct as well." I would agree, but say that not all are necessary for everyone to understand. If a pilot says believe in me, I will get you there safely, what are you believing in him for?

"My understanding of this verse would be that those who believe that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God receive eternal life but I don't find it to say they must know that first in order to believe He is the Son of God." So anyone who believes he is the Son of God (Catholics, mormons and JW's etc) all have eternal life because they believe Jesus is the Son of God? That makes it easier for adults, but more difficult for children assuming children have to understand what that title means. Easier for adults because now they can trust in their own works to save them which is apparently much easier. Please clarify what you are saying here.


"I would say that our faith in Christ is not based on His singular ability in any one thing but on His absolute authority in all things. I am sympathetic to those who believe in Him for the truth or the way as well. He is all. I am empathetic with those who fail to understand any of these things. ;-)"

By making it nebulous or all inclusive (I am not sure which way you are going) it is either impossible to know if you believe in him enough or impossible as I do not believe we can Know everything about Jesus Christ nor do we have 100% correct.. I still am learning. Its either simple or "extemely" complicated. I know people who Believe Jesus can fix their marriage, but don't believe in him for eternal life because they are relying on themselves. Sticking to the Gospel of JN, what passages would you use to show its more then believing in him for eternal life?

"I would understand Paul's statement in 1st Tim to be in contrast to those who were teaching law as the means to eternal life. Do you see more here?" I think we are both correct. He is contrasting it, because its true. We are still believing in him for Eternal life. Its just a 3rd person way of stating Jn 6:47 and of course talking to those who are already saved.

You replied, “...they have doubts. They have lost assurance, but eternal life is a commitment from God”. Your thesis states, “If he retains doubt, he neither believes, nor has assurance”.
How would you reconcile this apparent conflict?

I may not have been clear. I mean that if after he believes, 1 second later he has doubts, it effects his assurance, but not what he already gained 1 second prior. You cannot believe someone, and doubt at the same time. You can "act" like you do, but thats not belief. I think the problem comes in how we use believe today which means something more like think. If you read Hebrews, its clear that belief is being convinced something is true. You cannot be convinced and unconvinced at the same time.

I appreciate the dialog, as always, but I may be infrequent. I'm working a seven day work week and my brain tends to rattle around in my head like a bb in a box car! ;-)

Fair enough. I am traveling some with work as well so we will correspond as we can. As always I appreciate the gracious way you interact.

Grace and Truth.
Trent

Brian said...

Thanks for taking time to address my question. I am not sure you acknowledged that people who stress assurance state in effect that you have to believe that you believe and that that is a circular argument.

Trent said...

Hi Enerqy, I did not stress it because its silly. You know if you believe something or not. Are you a male or female? You either believe you are one or the other. Belief and assurance go hand in hand. As soon as you are not sure, then ... Its not any more complicated then that. If you do, you know you do. I think the confusion is the way believe is used in our language today, not the way its used in the New Testament. I again I reference Hebrews. Some people do strange things like say "do you 'really' believe. Again, you either do or do not.

Trent said...

Enerqy I reread my answer and realized that it could have sounded wrong. I am not saying you were silly or the question was because I have heard it before to. The idea of believing you believe is what I meant. :) Anyway, just wanted you to know I was not being demeaning.

Grace and Truth

Trent