Monday, October 22, 2007

Glory to God in the Highest! India Trip Overview

God is good. The Holy Spirit was extremely active. Over 1200 people professed faith in Christ over 4 days, and we also were able to hand out tracts and talk to people about Christ coming and going and at the hotel etc. I preached for my first time regarding the difference between faith in Christ and faithfulness to Christ and what the results of each are at a small orphanage where I was probably more blessed then my audience. The childrens singing was heavenly. Rev. Nilbir who was the person who ran the orphanage also ended up being my interpreter. He was wonderful, and God used him so that we could share with those who did not understand Manipuree as he also spoke Hindi. Also, Antonio's seminar (http://indiacampaign.blogspot.com/ ) was just outstanding! He could have easily spread the information over 12 hours or more, but the people were hungry and excited!.

I will go into how I presented the Bible to allow for some feedback and describe some of the responses I got personally. Most of those we witnessed to were Hindu's and Animists, some of whom had never heard of Jesus. This was my first Mission, and truly the first time I had ever focused on evangelism. I did use an evangicube (http://www.e3resources.org/evangecube.aspx). I prayed as I approached each house for God to use me as his tool, and remove any motives I had that were not good. To take away any pride or arrogance and for me to share with humility. Me and my interpreter prayed a lot. We did spent close to an hour with most people, and I always shared my food with them. There is a saying. People do not care what you know until they know you care. They knew we came from America to tell them of this and knew we cared!

I told them I was there to tell them of the God who created the universe. He created the Spirits as well. I briefly describe the rebellion of the angels and their fall to allow for questions about other gods etc. I covered the garden of Eden, Gods love and fellowship with man there, and Eves temptation by the head of the evil spirits, Satan. I explain that a Holy God because of mans rebellion also could no longer have fellowship with man and cast them from the garden.

I discussed how man multiplied upon the earth and that God because of his love for man let them know that he would provide a sacrifice so that man again could have fellowship with God. I usually quoted Hebrews 9:8 here. (at times the Holy Spirit seemed to lead me to add or use different ways to explain things though my overall presentation stayed the same.) I then explained that about 2000 years ago, God sent his son Jesus Christ came to earth. He claimed to be the Son of God and did many miracles to show that he was who he claimed. He spoke the words of God. He said (I quote John 3:16, and John 14:6) I discuss (dramatically) the story of him quieting of the Storm from Mark ( I got goose bumps every time I described this) and one of the signs given in the book of John so that unbelievers believe, raising of Lazarus. I talked about how people followed him and even wanted to make him King, but he refused because they did not know the purpose he came. He told his followers that he came to die but that he would raise again but they too did not understand.

The Religious and political leaders were not happy with the attention Christ received and because they did not believe that he was the Son of God they plotted against him. They sent soldiers to arrest him. I describe the defense of Peter, the healing of the soldiers, (dramatic again) and the fleeing of his followers. I again reiterate that this was why he came. I go into detail of what he went through with the crown of thorns, beatings and whipping the skin off of his back. Some of the people began to cry even before I described the crucifixion. Others did not until they saw and heard him described on the cross.(evangicube picture) I told them that he was mocked. "You saved others, now save yourself." They did not understand that it was for this purpose that he came. To be our sacrifice so that we could be with God forever. I told them that the evil spirits rejoiced thinking that they had a victory.

Usually around this point I would go back to in the garden before the soldiers arrived and describe the prayer of Christ to his Father. "Father, if there is any other way, please take this cup from me" but because of his love for you, ( I would point at each of them) he said "but your will be done" They had no concept of a loving God so this was very emotional for many. I describe the burial, the guards and the Resurrection. How the religious leaders posted the guards, because they knew he had said he would die and raise again, but not because they believed he was the Son of God. Instead, the guards were to prevent his followers from stealing the body. But his followers were afraid and hiding. When he arose, he showed himself to many witness's including over 500 at one time. He told his followers that he had conquered death, and was the sacrifice for our sins. Because he had died for us, we could again have fellowship with God and spend eternity with him. I go over John 3:16 again and explain that by simply believing in Jesus Christ, they receive the free gift of eternal life. I then went over Hell, and explain that God the Father created Hell for the evil spirits, and that we would have gone there because of our sin if he had not sent his Son. That this was the only way he could satisfy his righteousness. A few times I did use Rom 3:23 as well as the verse in the old testament that talks about our righteousness being as filthy rags. I explain that God knows them. Their name, their thoughts and their hurts. I told them that if they believe in Jesus Christ, that God will give them the free gift of eternal life and they will be with him forever.

I then asked. "Do you believe this?" The vast majority would nod or say yes. I could not believe how the Holy Spirit worked! At least one lady started to cry when I told her I was here to tell her about the God who created the universe. Their hearts were prepared.

I would then tell them that I asked them because although God knew their heart and that they had believe I did not and I wanted to rejoice because of my new brothers and sisters in Christ. I explained that at the moment they believed in Christ, God had given them the free gift of eternal life, and that when they died they would go straight to heaven to be with God. That I would see them again. I explained how as children of God they did not have to fear his creations, and that includes spirits. I then would ask them if they wanted to Pray and thank God for his Love and his gift he had given them.

I explained to them that prayer was talking to God and that it could be done with the mouth or in the mind. With the eyes open or closed (though closed helped you focus) and that there were no magic words. I asked them if they would like to to lead them in their first prayer anyway, and all said yes. My prayer followed this guideline.

Dear Father, Thank you for sending Jesus Christ as the sacrifice for my sins, so that be believing in him, I receive the free gift of eternal life. Thank you for your love for me that I cannot understand. Thank you that you let me talk to you when ever I want. Please teach me more about you. In the name of God's Son Jesus Christ, Amen.

When we were done, they were always grinning. Many thanked me for the good news. at least twice people mentioned that they had seen Jesus on TV but that because of what I shared they could believe. I grew so much on this trip. We always left them with some New Testaments, and I highlighted John 3:16. I told them they could read more of what Jesus Christ had done as well as more of the words of God. Many could not wait but began to read even as we were leaving. Some asked us to teach them songs to praise God with.

Before giving them the Bible I would tell them that many people in America paid for me to come to India and tell them about Jesus. When I got back they would rejoice knowing they had new brothers & sisters that they would see in heaven someday, but that I would like to take pictures of them so they would not have to wait. They always laughed or grinned and nodded. We also got their names so that Indian believers could follow up and hopefully plant a church in these unreached area's.

Anyway, I hope this was enjoyable for you to read, and I look forward to what ever discussion or comments this leads to. :) I will post a link to pictures soon in the comments when they are posted. I am sure the comments will remind me of things I forgot, and I will share a few special moments in the comments as well.

Love in Christ,

Trent

13 comments:

Andrew McNeill said...

This is absolutely amazing! I'm so glad that you had such a blessed mission!

Blessings,
Andrew

Trent said...

Thank you Andrew. God blessed us profoundly. Pictures and more specifics to follow.

Antonio said...

Good stuff, Trent! I am glad we got to minister side-by-side!

Antonio

Trent said...

It was truly awesome, and I am so glad you got me off my duff to go. I hope to do more now. Serving God can be addictive.

Trent said...

Here are some pictures from Michael, one of those who came with us.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=lmlxvph.2ox59o9t&x=0&y=lft3vk

Trent said...

Here are some more pictures from some of our team!
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff13/e3india07/

http://picasaweb.google.com/michellekvandal/India

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15972318@N04/1781610529/in/set-72157602750073383/

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/jccase/India/

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/jccase/India/

Trent said...

http://meyersix.org/october_2007.htm

some more pictures and video's from Russ. A link to my pictures and story can be found on the main blog.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this Trent. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I know I was blessed reading it. It's so encouraging to hear of amazing ministry stories such as this. I'm looking forward to you sharing more on Sunday at Coast.

Blessings,
Neil

Bill Hinckley said...

Trent,
You gave them an excellent gospel message, a lot of important information from God's word that the Holy Spirit could use in convicting your hearers of the truth of the message and their need to believe in Jesus Christ.
Yours truly,
Bill Hinckley

Trent said...

Thank you Bill. I hope you followed the link to see the pictures of the people we will someday see again in heaven! :)

Trent said...

Another persons gallery who was with us. Kathy is 72 years old!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=a9yemeq7.5p76dtx3&x=0&y=dqansa

Trent said...

The church's have been following up and forming home fellowships, and people have been getting baptized. Pray that the duplication process will move forward and may more will be added to the kingdom!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.